BennVenn's Digital Backlight Brightness Controller Tutorial
Table of Contents
- Change Log
- Required Supplies
[0.1.0] - 2019-04-15
- Initial release
The following tutorial will guide you through the steps to install BennVenn's Digital Brightness Controller.
We assume you have basic soldering skills, that you know how to clean surfaces before soldering and that you already know how to add a backlight to a Game Boy. This guide will only instruct you on how to integrate the voltage regulator in your mod.
The wires we use are 30 AWG Silicone-Cover Stranded-Core.
NOTE: that the information given here is provided to the best of our knowledge at the moment of writing and could change over time. Anything you might do is at your own risk and we can't be held responsible if things turns out bad on your end. Attempt at your own risk.
- BennVenn's Digital Brightness Controller
- AGS-101 LCD
- Gameboy Advance
- Triwing & Philips head screwdrivers
- Solder Iron
- Wire strippers/cutters
- Double sided tape (optional)
- Kapton tape (optional)
Step 1: Preparation
Cut wires to length but only solder the ground to the voltage regulator
Step 2: Inputs
- Power (+) to VDD35
- Ground (-) to the outer shell of P4 (Link Cable socket)
- Select (second from top) to TP2
- Up (third from top) to TP6
- Down (fourth from top) to TP7
Note: You should apply double-sided tape to the underside of the Brightness Controller as well as Kapton along the wire track keep everything in place.
Step 3: LCD
- The regulated ground to the negative (right side) of LCD power input.
- A 70mm wire from the top left leg of DA1 to the positive (left side) of the LCD power input.
Note: You must prepare the LCD first before soldering in wires, please see our guide for that here
Step 4: Finalization
Apply Kapton tape over the soldered wire to prevent an inadvertent short. Do not forget to connect and secure the ribbon cable before testing.
Note: You may need to initially trigger the brightness controller (hold select) after powering on the unit to “enable” any level of brightness.