Freeplaytech's Freeplay CM3 is a next-generation retro video game handheld. Inspired by and based on Retro Pie, the Freeplay CM3 looks like your favorite classic handheld but gives you incomparable freedom when it comes to what and how you play.
What you're buying here is a pre-built Freeplay CM3 unit. Keep in mind that, even with us building the console, you will need to spend time configuring it according to your needs. Configuring Wi-FI, button mapping, etc. requires working knowledge of Linux. Please keep the DIY nature of this project in mind when purchasing.
If you're looking for a ready to play GBA, please check out our build to order Game Boy Advance. Adventurous modders seeking to undertake the project themselves are invited to have a look at our convenient DIY project builder.
Please read the entire product description carefully before placing your order. Limited quantities available each week.
Base Price Includes
- Freeplay CM3 Kit
- Raspberry Pi Compute Module 3
- Time and labor to build the custom console according to your specifications
L2/R2 Add-On Board
- The L2/R2 add-on board's main feature is to add additional trigger buttons at the back of the shell
- The board also includes an option to add a fan, which pulls air through the hole in the circuit board and blows it out the side across the heat sink on the CM3's CPU. If you expect you'll be playing games with demanding graphics, the fan is recommended
- In addition to the L2 and R2 buttons, the add-on board also adds a hotkey
- Please note that, should you opt to purchase the L2/R2 add-on board without purchasing an SD card, it is your responsibility to flash the appropriate image and configure the unit for L2/R2 support. The L2/R2 board will not be supported by default.
- Starting April 19, 2019, all units use the soft-button configuration
- Button colors can be individually selected to suit your aesthetic preferences
- Buttons are carefully sanded down to remove the A and B lettering
Micro SD Card Options
- San Disk Ultra Micro SD cards are available for purchase with your build. A flashed SD card is required for the CM3 to boot. Should you purchase a Micro SD card, we will flash the appropriate image and configure it for you, but you will still have to supply your own software and games. Any additional configuration will be your responsibility
Make the most out of your CM3 with any of our convenient cables, adapters, and cases.
- Micro USB OTG adapter
- Micro USB OTG cable
- Micro USB cable
- Mini HDMI to HDMI cable
- EDUP Mini USB WiFi adapter
- Protective neoprene sleeve
- Freeplay CM3 image files are available through Google Drive. We recommend using Etcher to burn the image to your Micro SD card
- Freeplaytech provides a detailed setup guide, which we recommend you read before placing an order
- For additional support, please check out Freeplay's troubleshooting guide or their robust forum
- Purchasing this console requires that you read, test, and learn. If you're not ready to spend the time discovering how this product works, this is not the device for you. For a ready to play GBA, please check out our build to order Game Boy Advance
- RetroPie is built on top of Raspbian, EmulationStation, RetroArch, and Libretro, etc. Please familiarize yourself with these products before purchasing.
- Advanced support for the product can be found on the Freeplaytech forum. Additional support may be found on the Retro Pie, Emulation Station, and Game Pie Advance forums
- For customers living in the United States, due to restrictions imposed by USPS surrounding the transportation of LiPo batteries, this product can only be shipped to you via ground transportation, which may extend the time it takes for you to receive your order
- Please note that batteries are prohibited from being shipped into Germany. German customers who have placed orders for individual batteries and for custom consoles with our battery packs will be contacted for a refund. Unfortunately, this situation is out of our control. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause
- Volume controls are reversed due to space constraints
- Opening your console will void your warranty. We do not accept returns for Freeplay CM3 consoles that have been opened
- This unit is handmade and may have slight imperfections or variations
- Retro Modding is not responsible for how you choose to use this device