Congratulations! You are now on the waiting list, please check your inbox for our confirmation email!
If you're looking for a crisp, full-sized backlit LCD for your Game Boy, look no further than this IPS LCD kit. This kit contains everything required to give your old DMG a bright new display. In addition, the viewing area is the same size as the stock display, meaning no special lens is required!
We're offering this product both as a DIY kit, and a pre-assembled drop-in. The DIY kit will provide you with all that you need to install this LCD, and will require some soldering for the Game Boy speaker. The pre-assembled drop-in will come with the kit pre-assembled, and will include a new GameBoy speaker already soldered to the PCB.
Important: Please note, the v3 and v4 kits use different brackets. Product photo is currently of the v3 kit.
- LCD replacement for original Game Boy
- Includes replacement front PCB with button contacts
- Minor soldering is required (two wires)
- Minor shell trimming required (screw posts need to be cut)
- Same viewing area as the original display
- Multiple color modes to choose from
- New to v4: "color adjust" option to allow for further customization of color palette
- Brightness control (replaces contrast wheel)
v3 DIY Kit:
- 1x IPS LCD
- 1x Front PCB
- 1x Video Driver PCB
- 1x Front PCB Ribbon Cable
- 1x Video Driver PCB Ribbon Cable
- 1x 3D-printed bracket
- 1x Adhesive
v4 DIY Kit:
- 1 x IPS LCD
- 1 x Front PCB
- 1 x Video Driver PCB
- 1 x Front PCB Ribbon Cable
- 1 x Video Driver PCB Ribbon Cable
- 1 x Glass Screen Lens
- 1 x 3D-Printed Bracket
- The files for the V3 3D printed bracket can be found on our Thingiverse, here
- The files for the V4 3D printed bracket can be found on our Thingiverse, here
- This is an aftermarket product and may not feel identical to its genuine counterpart
- We strongly recommend testing the display before installing it in your Game Boy. Please confirm the kit is working before connecting the tape, bracket, and LCD. We are unable to accept returns on kits that have been installed in a console. Individual replacement parts are available above in the "Included" section.
- Too much pressure can permanently damage the screen and result in rows of dead pixels. Do not force the shell closed around the LCD.
- Some minor shell modification is required, involving cutting the screw posts on the interior front of the shell. This trimming can be accomplished with a pair of side cutters.
- For v4 kits, the display on the LCD may be misaligned to the viewport; holding the brightness wheel will bring up an options display, where you can adjust the horizontal and vertical position of the image to align it with the console viewport
- On-screen battery display is a rough estimate, and may not be accurate
- LCD may break under pressure or if dropped. We recommend you exercise care when installing this product.
Super simple à installer et tellement efficace. L’image est parfaite...
Game Boy IPS LCD (RIPS)
This kit is good if you're looking for an IPS upgrade kit for the DMG. More comprehensive reviews of all IPS kits can be found elsewhere online. It is nice that Retromodding adds the option to purchase the kits preassembled, in case the user wants minimal work required to install it.
This kit really brings your favorite handheld into the future.
The version 3 is brilliant! The colors are great and the contrast in the pallets are much better than stock. Don't waste time with backlighting or biverting the original screen, this option is easier, more durable, less prone to failure, and has a better picture quality. My only nitpick is that the gameboy pocket IPS kit, which is made by Funny Playing, not only exceeds the number of colour palettes of this kit, but also has a choice of two video filters all accessible through an included touch sensor rather than this kit's choice for a digital knurled thumb wheel. That said, this remains the best option for the original DMG.