Congratulations! You are now on the waiting list, please check your inbox for our confirmation email!
If you're looking for a crisp, full-sized backlit LCD for your Game Boy, look no further than this IPS LCD kit. This kit contains everything required to give your old DMG a bright new display. In addition, the viewing area is the same size as the stock display, meaning no special lens is required!
We're offering this product both as a DIY kit, and a pre-assembled drop-in. The DIY kit will provide you with all that you need to install this LCD, and will require some soldering for the Game Boy speaker. The pre-assembled drop-in will come with the kit pre-assembled, and will include a new GameBoy speaker already soldered to the PCB.
If you're looking to go all the way with refreshing the look of your old Game Boy, check out our shells, buttons, and glass lenses! As well, while our bracket was designed for laser cut acrylic, if you would like to 3D print your own, you can download the STL file on our thingiverse.
Important: Even with the preassembled kit, two screw posts will need to be cut on the shell. We will be posting a tutorial shortly, that includes a photo of which screw posts to cut.
- LCD replacement for original Game Boy
- Includes replacement front PCB with button contacts
- Minor soldering is required (two wires)
- Minor shell trimming required (screw posts need to be cut)
- Same viewing area as the original display
- 8 different color modes to choose from
- Brightness control (replaces contrast wheel)
v3 DIY Kit:
- 1x IPS LCD
- 1x Front PCB
- 1x Video Driver PCB
- 1x Front PCB Ribbon Cable
- 1x Video Driver PCB Ribbon Cable
- 1x 3D-printed bracket
- 1x Adhesive
- The files for the 3D printed bracket can be found on our Thingiverse, here
- This is an aftermarket product and may not feel identical to its genuine counterpart
- We strongly recommend testing the display before installing it in your Game Boy. Please confirm the kit is working before connecting the tape, bracket, and LCD. We are unable to accept returns on kits that have been installed in a console. Individual replacement parts are available above in the "Included" section.
- Too much pressure can permanently damage the screen and result in rows of dead pixels. Do not force the shell closed around the LCD.
- Some minor shell modification is required, involving cutting the screw posts on the interior front of the shell. This trimming can be accomplished with a pair of side cutters.
- LCD may break under pressure or if dropped. We recommend you exercise care when installing this product.
This is my third IPS display mod from these guys and both the product from Funny Playing and the service from Retro Modding is top notch. This was probably a bit easier than the GBC version, but with more screws. The toughest part is feeding the large ribbon cable.
Great kit! Easy to install, and it comes with a perfect alignment bracket and nice glass lens. My only qualm was with the kit itself (not RetroModding's fault): on some games, the screen gives random pixels or artifacts. Only happens on a few games. For me it was Link's Awakening. If you google it, it seems to be a problem with this version of the screen kit. Hopefully FunnyPlaying will fix it in the future. Otherwise, fantastic!
I’m not super handy, but I was able to accomplish this! I’m so excited to give this to my kids for Christmas. It looks outstanding - and all the color choices bring the games to LIFE! Way better than that old, hard to see (and then, only in the best ambient, non-direct lighting). Glorious!
I got this kit for a gift and the picture looks gorgeous. The one thing I would be careful with is the ribbon cable slots are quite tight and can be tricky to install