Congratulations! You are now on the waiting list, please check your inbox for our confirmation email!
The Retro Pixel IPS arrives on the Game Boy Color! Featuring a slightly larger LCD, touch brightness control, and a variety of display effects, this kit from Funnyplaying contains everything you need to have your console up and running with a new display in no time.
Please read the product description carefully and in its entirety before purchasing.
- Crisp, vibrant display
- Fast refresh rate with no blur
- 25% larger than stock LCD
- Multi-level touch brightness control
- 5 display modes (default / none, vertical scanlines (standard, dark, or thick), and retro pixel grid)
- 1x IPS LCD
- 1x Ribbon cable
- 1x Double-sided installation tape
- 1x Glass screen lens (no logo)
- 1x Touch sensor
- 2x 20mm wire
- 1x 5mm wire
- 1x 3D-printed centering bracket (in 3 pieces)
- Some soldering is required (6 solder points total)
- Some shell trimming is required to accommodate the larger LCD. A trim guide can be purchased here.
- Pressing start + select will cycle through the 5 display modes
- Ribbon is very fragile, be sure to install carefully.
- We strongly recommend testing the display before installing it in your Game Boy Color. Once the foam tape is applied to your shell, it cannot be safely removed. Please confirm the kit is working before connecting the foam, bracket, and LCD. We are unable to accept returns on kits that have been installed in a console. Individual replacement parts are available above in the "Included" section.
- Too much pressure can permanently damage the screen and result in rows of dead pixels. Do not force the shell closed around the LCD. Ensure the shell is properly trimmed for the IPS LCD before attempting to install it.
- LCD may break under pressure or if dropped. We recommend you exercise care when installing this product.
- Ribbon cable is fragile; be sure to install it carefully.
I managed to get this installed into my Gameboy after a good few hours of scouring to figure out how to trim the OEM shell to fit the new IPS screen. In the end the 3D printed alignment guides helped in knowing how far back everything needed to be trimmed in order to fit everything inside, but it would have been much more helpful to have a written or video tutorial with still images of how to trim things to fit inside.
Other than that the kit is great. I also installed one of the button LED kits and it all soldered together without much issue and it looks great once assembled.
It's really long process for do all the trimming in this shell. Hope we get a pre-trimmed shell for this mod in the future.
Mod wasn't too difficult, and the screen is wonderful- great viewing angles, incredibly crisp, and no tearing or pixel scaling issues. Only thing I dislike about it is how finicky and unreliable the touch sensor for brightness controls is. I think it would have been better mapped to buttons like the screen filters are.
Plugged the ribbon and lcd into an open gameboy (did not fully install) to test operability. No output on the LCD so I’m unsure if the ribbon or the screen is defective. Will have to order a new kit to isolate the issue
Thank you for this review.
Would you mind sending us an email at email@example.com? We would like to look into this issue with you. It sounds like you might not have soldered the power wire.
Never hesitate to contact us for any concerns or questions.
The RM Team
Used in a build for my friend and he is loving his new improved gameboy color that he's had since '05