Congratulations! You are now on the waiting list, please check your inbox for our confirmation email!
After bringing high-quality backlight kits to the GameGear and the Atari Lynx, McWill returns with a backlight for the Game Boy Color. This true plug-and-play drop-in kit will dramatically improve the brightness, color, and contrast of the GBC so you can enjoy your favorite retro games like never before. No soldering necessary!
Looking for a lens for your new drop-in kit? Custom glass lenses sized specifically for the kit's display size are now available!
- True drop-in solution—no soldering necessary
- All-in-one PCB solution
- 2:1 integer scale of the GBC's native resolution
- Same aspect ratio as the original GBC screen
- No flickering or screen tearing
- LCD and PCB come pre-attached for easy installation
- Game Boy Color LCD upgrade revision 1.1 quick guide
- Installation tutorial coming in August
- 1 x Game Boy Color LCD upgrade (LCD + PCB)
- We're selling the solder-free version 1.1.
- Each kit is tested before shipping
- If batteries are low when attempting to turn on the Game Boy Color after performing the mod, the LCD may not power on with the first try. You may need to turn the GBC on and off 2-3 times before starting to play. This phenomenon can be avoided by using fresh batteries, keeping charged batteries in the console, or pairing this product with the McWill USB charging kit.
- Avoid placing pressure directly on the screen. Hold the edges of the drop-in kit carefully when installing it in your console. Do not pinch the screen between your fingers when manipulating it
- Too much pressure can permanently damage the screen and result in rows of dead pixels. Do not force the shell closed around the LCD. If necessary, remove more plastic from the shell.
- LCD may break under pressure or if dropped. We recommend you exercise care when installing this product.
This LCD screen is amazing! Very bright and vibrant. I enjoy that now I can play my old games on cartridges on the go again just like old times. The installation process wasn’t that hard at all, as long as you follow the instructions and be patient with yourself while doing it, it will come out great! Suggestion: remove the front glass screen before modifying the gameboy color. Will be purchasing again from retro modding
The McWill kit requires minimal shell modification to slot in. I think there are better screen kits available for the Gameboy Color, however the option for VGA out on the McWill is something interesting and not available in other popular options.
Back light screen is a night and day difference.
Super high quality picture.
The only con I have to this is the bevel that shows thru with the default screen protector. but its not super noticeable. You could easily remedy this with a replacement screen protector from this website. I decided to just leave it and call her a day.