Congratulations! You are now on the waiting list, please check your inbox for our confirmation email!
If you're looking for a crisp, full-sized backlit LCD for your Game Boy, look no further than this IPS LCD kit from Funnyplaying. This kit contains everything required to give your old DMG a bright new display. In addition, the viewing area is 11% bigger than the stock display, meaning you will have to trim the shell a little bit!
Please read the product description carefully and in its entirety before purchasing.
- LCD replacement for original Game Boy
- Includes replacement front PCB with button contacts
- Minor soldering is required (two wires)
- Minor shell trimming required (screw posts and viewport)
- 8 different color modes to choose from
- Brightness control (replaces contrast wheel)
- 1 x IPS LCD
- 1 x Ribbon cable adapter
- 1 x Glass Lens
- 1 x PCB
- 1 x FPC
- 1 x 3D-printed centring bracket
- 1 x Foam tape
- The files for the 3D printed bracket can be found on our Thingiverse, here
- This is an aftermarket product and may not feel identical to its genuine counterpart
- We strongly recommend testing the display before installing it in your Game Boy. Please confirm the kit is working before connecting the tape, bracket, and LCD. We are unable to accept returns on kits that have been installed in a console. Individual replacement parts are available above in the "Included" section.
- Too much pressure can permanently damage the screen and result in rows of dead pixels. Do not force the shell closed around the LCD.
- Some minor shell modification is required, involving cutting the screw posts on the interior front of the shell. This trimming can be accomplished with a pair of side cutters.
- LCD may break under pressure or if dropped. We recommend you exercise care when installing this product.
Picked up this screen kit for my restored OG Gameboy DMG and it is perfect. Love the ease of installation and various color settings. Minimal soldering (only for speaker connect to this board). Highly recommend if you're thinking to give a refresh to your GB handheld.
Best option for DMG screen replacement, easy installation only slight shell trimming needed. Be very careful with the LCD it is very fragile however
This is my third IPS display mod from these guys and both the product from Funny Playing and the service from Retro Modding is top notch. This was probably a bit easier than the GBC version, but with more screws. The toughest part is feeding the large ribbon cable.
Great kit! Easy to install, and it comes with a perfect alignment bracket and nice glass lens. My only qualm was with the kit itself (not RetroModding's fault): on some games, the screen gives random pixels or artifacts. Only happens on a few games. For me it was Link's Awakening. If you google it, it seems to be a problem with this version of the screen kit. Hopefully FunnyPlaying will fix it in the future. Otherwise, fantastic!
I’m not super handy, but I was able to accomplish this! I’m so excited to give this to my kids for Christmas. It looks outstanding - and all the color choices bring the games to LIFE! Way better than that old, hard to see (and then, only in the best ambient, non-direct lighting). Glorious!