We have a convenient DIY Project Builder for this product. Please check it out to make sure you get all the parts you need for the full build.
The Freeplay Zero, initially known as the Game Pie Advance, is a handheld video game console that combines the power of a Raspberry Pi Zero with the classic form factor of the Game Boy Advance. The Freeplay Zero is inspired by and runs RetroPie, which is built on top of Raspbian, EmulationStation, and RetroArch. With this kit, you can build a next-generation retro video game console that looks like your favorite classic handheld.
This product is intended to be an empowering do-it-yourself (DIY) project. Please familiarize yourself with the project's requirements before purchasing. For hardware specifics, please check out the original Kickstarter.
Want a Freeplay Zero without building it yourself? Check out our build to order service. Please note that some configuration will still be required.
Please read the entire product description carefully before placing your order.
- Freeplaytech provides a detailed setup guide, which we recommend you read before placing an order
- Freeplay Zero image files are available through Google Drive. We recommend using Etcher to burn the image to your Micro SD card
- For additional support, please check out Freeplay's troubleshooting guide or their robust forum
- 1 x Freeplay Zero circuit board with built-in brightness controller
- 1 x 3.2" TFT LCD
- 1 x 40-pin header (to solder to your Raspberry Pi Zero or Zero W)
- 2 x Standoffs (for mounting the Raspberry Pi)
- 1 x X/Y button drill guide
- 1 x 2000 mAh LiPo battery
- 1 x Freeplay Zero keychain charm
- We depend on Freeplaytech for this product. Please subscribe to Freeplaytech newsletter to receive continuous production updates
- As of 2019, the circuit board now comes with the backlight brightness controller built-in and includes additional options for how you can implement the X/Y buttons
- For more information on the different X and Y button configurations, please watch Freeplay tech's button option video included at the end of this product description
- You'll need to supply several accessories to successfully assemble a working Freeplay Zero using this kit. If you're not sure which components are required for the full build, please see our convenient DIY Project Builder
- Freeplaytech glass lens sold separately
- For customers living in the United States, due to restrictions imposed by USPS surrounding the transportation of LiPo batteries, this product can only be shipped to you via ground transportation, which may extend the time it takes for you to receive your order
- Please note that batteries are prohibited from being shipped into Germany. German customers who have placed orders for this kit will be contacted for a refund. Unfortunately, this situation is out of our control. We're sorry for any inconvenience this may cause
- Retro Modding is not responsible for how you choose to use this device