A convenient DIY Project Builder exists for this project, check it out so you don't forget anything for your build!
Please understand that we depend on Freeplaytech for this product. Please subscribe to Freeplaytech newsletter to receive continuous production updates.
This is intended as a do-it-yourself (DIY) product, so please fully inform yourself before proceeding to do anything yourself. For hardware-specific information about the Freeplay Zero see the original Kickstarter.
Enjoy the process of building your own Freeplay Zero! Here is a tutorial video from Ed at Free Play Tech.
This circuit board is slightly different than versions prior to 2019. It now comes with the backlight brightness controller built in, and it has new options for how you, the builder, can implement the X/Y buttons from 3 available solutions.
Supported buttons configurations
All kits comes with the Long and Clicky buttons soldered-on, they will need to be unsoldered if you opt for any other buttons configuration. Here is a list of supported buttons configurations:
- Long & Clicky
- Soft-Rubber Feel (GBA feel)
Soft Buttons building tutorial
How does it works?
- Select the Base Kit you would like, Zero or CM3 or leave empty if you provide your own base kit;
- Select any parts you want from the available choices;
- You will get individual parts, not a pre-built console
- If your order includes a lithium battery and if you live in the US, due to USPS restriction, your package will be shipped using Ground service, this may cause additional delay.