Congratulations! You are now on the waiting list, please check your inbox for our confirmation email!
This Game Boy Color frontlight kit introduces an affordable lighting solution for the GBC. The optional toggle switch included with the kit enables you to easily turn the frontlight on and off, so you can enjoy a clear image no matter your light environment. The frontlight can rest on top of the LCD without any liquid adhesive but we recommend the use of LOCA for a reliable installation.
Looking for a brighter, backlit solution? Check out the solder-free McWill drop in LCD upgrade kit.
- Toggle switch to easily turn the frontlight on and off
- Includes 100 Ohm resistor
- 1 x Color Game Boy Frontlight
- 1 x 100 Ohm resistor
- 1 x Toggle switch
- 1 x Piece of shrink tube
- 1 x Piece of double-sided tape
- LOCA should be cured with a UV curing light. Trying to cure LOCA using bright sunlight will dramatically extend the time it takes to properly cure
- Ensure your LCD and other components are completely free of dust before installing the frontlight in your GBC
- Panel should be oriented with the smooth side down and the etched side facing up
I watched a couple of videos for installation, and it was easier than I expected. The LOCA I used wasn't very difficult to work with. Instead of the included switch, I used an on/off button and dremeled a hole for it into the shell - works great. The frontlight itself provides excellent lighting if you want to keep the look and feel of the original screen, and looks better in person than it does in videos or pictures. One small thing is that the frontlight panel has a slight texture on one side, which does add a tiny bit of fuzziness to the picture. It's not very noticeable, but it is present.
Overall, a fun, easy and productive mod.
Good quality construction, pretty easy install. My gbc screen is clear when the light is off under bright conditions, and not too washed out when lit by just the frontlight.
A great economic option to light up your Gameboy color that won’t sap your battery like an IPS might.