Congratulations! You are now on the waiting list, please check your inbox for our confirmation email!
Introducing the sharpest Game Boy Advance display yet. Gone is the blur of early 2000s hardware. Enjoy your favorite GBA titles with this startlingly crisp and impressively vibrant backlit IPS LCD display by Funny Playing.
V2 includes an upgraded ribbon cable that eliminates the screen tearing for a seamless display.
Please read the product description carefully and in its entirety before purchasing.
NOTE: Due to some shells, such as the Funny Playing GBA shells, being moulded for the IPS, the 3D-printed bracket is no longer included in this kit, as it cannot be used with these shells. If you are still in need of a centring bracket, they are available for purchase separately.
- V2 includes a newly synchronized clock to fix the diagonal screen tearing present in the first iteration of the ribbon cable
- Streamlined V2 ribbon design for easy installation
- Initial brightness to 30% and optimized night brightness settings on V2
- Backlit IPS LCD brighter than AGS-101 or NDSL displays
- Crisper image than the AGS-101
- Proportional image
- Fast refresh rate with no blur
- Wide viewing angle
- Easy, solder-free installation with little trimming involved
- 10 brightness levels (requires soldering three wires)
- Supports the software-based sleep mode built into select games
- Please check out our tutorial for instructions on how to install the IPS LCD (centered and offset methods) and the built-in brightness controller. Updated pictures with the V2 ribbon are forthcoming.
- Lead times may vary when purchasing a product on backorder
- V2 eliminates the screen tearing from the first iteration of the ribbon cable and streamlines the ribbon design
- We strongly recommend testing the display before installing it in your Game Boy Advance. Once the foam tape is applied to your shell, it cannot be safely removed. Please confirm the kit is working before connecting the foam, bracket, and LCD. We are unable to accept returns on kits that have been installed in a console. Individual replacement parts are available above in the "Included" section.
- Unlike the AGS-101 display, the IPS LCD is much thinner and has a larger bezel on the left side. Since most of the display is not supported by the shell, we have designed a 3D-printed centering bracket, which will ship with the LCD. It's also available separately.
- The IPS panel's viewing area is slight larger than that of the AGS-101. In order to make the entire display visible, the LCD requires a lens with a slightly larger viewing area (~1 mm on each side). We sell silk screen centered lenses with this larger viewing opening.
- The interior left wall (D-pad side) must be removed to center the viewing area on the display. We now offer this trim for the centered IPS LCD installation for all our GBA shells.
- Since the viewing area is approximately the same dimensions as the shell's display cut-out (~77 mm) the the edge of the shell will be visible unless trimmed.
- Wires to connect the brightness controller are not included with the LCD. We recommend using 30 AWG silicone stranded-core wire.
- 9-hours of battery life on brightness level 6 with volume, tested using our 1400mAh rechargeable battery pack.
- Backlight bleeding protectors are neither necessary or usable with the IPS LCD
- V1 of the ribbon cable presents a visible diagonal frame refresh that occurs in moments of transition, which is noticeable in some games. This is due to the frame buffer. It's subtle and we consider the benefits of the display to outweigh this minimal tearing, but please keep this in mind before you purchase V1 of this product.
- Avoid placing pressure directly on the screen. Hold the edges of the LCD carefully when installing it in your console. Do not pinch the screen between your fingers when manipulating it
- Too much pressure can permanently damage the screen and result in rows of dead pixels. Do not force the shell closed around the LCD. Ensure the shell is properly trimmed for the IPS LCD before attempting to install it.
- LCD may break under pressure or if dropped. We recommend you exercise care when installing this product.
2020-02-13: Changed kit content
2019-09-05: Removed v1 upgrade promotion.
2019-08-11: Introduced V2 of the ribbon cable. Updated product description accordingly. Discounted remaining stock of V1.
2019-07-11: Added note about backlight bleeding protector. Added note about compatibility with software-based sleep mode.
2019-07-09: Added note about testing display before applying foam tape.
2019-06-27: Added note about battery life.
2019-06-21: Clarified product notes, specified that offset lens includes metallic Game Boy Advance logo, updated tutorial, added wire gauge recommendation, removed pre-order.
2019-06-12: 3D-printed centering bracket added to what's included in the LCD kit.
2019-06-10: Description updated to include notes about viewing area and diagonal screen tearing.
2018-06-08: Product added with a note that description was in progress.
Game Boy Advance IPS LCD
I’m not sure If I totally did it correctly but the ribbon cable was a little weird it had 2 connections one wasn’t used at all to make it fit I had to bend it and that made a small Horizontal line on top of the screen not noticeable if you don’t pay it much attention could have been my fault but the ribbon cable was my big downfall
Thank you for reaching out.
The ribbon cable indeed has 2 different ends, one for the 40pin version and one for the 32pin version. This is well explained in our tutorial.
Can you contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org? We would like to look into the issue with you.
Never hesitate to contact us for questions or concerns.
The RM Team
Game Boy Advance IPS LCD
The screen work great. Easy install, greatly recommended the upgrade. My kids are now playing the games I grew up playing.
No indication on ordering regarding length of time to ship. After contacting them i was told 2-4 weeks but after 7 still nothing. Attempting to get my money back.
Thank you for this review.
Unfortunately, we don't have any control over the long shipping delays for orders in the UK with Covid and Brexit. We will look into how we could better inform our customers in the future.
Don't hesitate to contact us for any questions or concerns.
The RM Team